If you are a non-European Union citizen including British, Russian, American, Australian, Indian, Canadian, Chinese, Japanese, South Korean, among many other nationalities who really wish to obtain legal residence in Spain you would be able to apply for a variety of visas for Spain, one of which is the non-lucrative residence visa. This type of visa will allow to live in Spain and also can include some family members. Please note that anyone who can show sufficient funds, can apply for this type of residency permit

What is the Spanish Non-lucrative Residence Visa

The non-lucrative residence visa is a type of Spanish visa that can be granted to non-EU citizens who wish to live in Spain for more than three months. An important thing to consider is that this visa does not allow you to work in Spain. This means that any work or other professional activity is not allowed under Spain’s non-lucrative residence scheme.

With this visa, you can reside in Spain as a temporary resident for at least one year from your date of entry into Spain. If you wish, you can also renew your non-lucrative residence visa for Spain before it expires (60 days in advance). You can also renew it up to 90 days after the date of expiry but at MigraVisas we recommend applying in plenty of time.

Note that each renewal will last up to two years (first and second renewals). If you are seeking to relocate permanently to Spain, you can achieve this with the third renewal of the non-lucrative residence permit as it will be granted for a period of five years.

This visa is ideal for non-EU citizens who have enough funds or means including retired people and wish to live in Spain without working or undertaking professional activities.

Main Benefits of the Non-Lucrative Residence Permit for Spain

With this type of visa, you can:

  • Work remotely for clients or a company which is based abroad.
  • Live with your family members including your partner and other family members.
  • Travel freely within the Schengen Area without applying for any tourist visas.
  • Invest in property in Spain.

Requirements for a Non-Lucrative Residence Visa in Spain

Non-EU citizens who wish to apply for the non-lucrative residence visa for Spain must meet the following requirements:

  • Passport with at least one year validity before its expiry date.
  • Have not overstayed a previous visa or spent time illegally in a Spanish territory.
  • No criminal records in your current country of residence or in Spain.
  • Have proof of sufficient economic funds or means.
  • Have not been prohibited from entering Spain, it’s territories or those with which Spain has a specific agreement
  • Not suffer from any of the diseases that can have serious public health repercussions in accordance with the provisions of the International Health Regulations of 2005.

Procedure for Spain’s Non-Lucrative Residence Visa Application

Apply at the Spanish consulate in your country of residence.

The application for the non-lucrative residence visa must be presented at the nearest Consulate General of Spain in your current country of residence.

This application must be presented personally by the individual who wants to obtain the visa. Any applications made on the behalf of minors can be presented by a parent, guardian or accredited representative. 

Documentation Required for your Non-Lucrative Residence Visa Application

  • Residence visa application form EX01.
  • Passport or travel title, recognized as valid in Spain, with a minimum validity of one year.
  • Criminal record certificate or equivalent document, if you are of legal age, issued by the authorities of the country of origin or the country or countries in which you have resided for the last five years.
  • Documentation proving that you have financial means for the period requested. It can be credited by any means of proof, including the provision of property titles, certified checks or credit cards accompanied by a bank certification that accredits the amount available as credit on the card. If the means come from shares or investments in Spanish, mixed or foreign companies, based in Spain, the applicant will need to certify that they do not carry out any work activity, providing an accompanying affidavit to this effect.
  • Documentation proving current, valid health insurance issued by a company that is authorised to operate in Spain. You must have total coverage; with no excesses or co-payments.
  • Medical certificate.


  • There is a mandatory interview that will be held at the consulate office.
  • When documents from other countries are provided, they must be translated into Spanish or the co-official language of the territory where the application is submitted.

Additionally, all foreign public documents must be legalized by the Consular Office of Spain with jurisdiction in the country in which said document has been issued or, where appropriate, by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Cooperation except in the case in which said document has been apostilled by the competent authority of the issuing country according to the Hague Convention of October 5, 1961 and unless said document is exempt from legalization by virtue of the International Convention.

If you need a legal translation service, please do not hesitate to ask us. At MigraVisas we work with a team of trusted Sworn translators.

Waiting the Response from the Spanish Consulate

The term for notification of the resolution is three months from the day after receiving your non-lucrative residence visa application. After said period has elapsed without the Administration having given an express response, it may be understood that the request has been rejected due to administrative silence.

Once you Arrive in Spain 

Non-lucrative residence visa holders must arrive in Spain within 90 days of the day your visa was granted. During the first month of your stay in Spain, you must go to the Local Immigration Office (Extranjería) and apply for your Tarjeta de Identificación de Extranjero (in short, Tarjeta NIE). Once receiving your Tarjeta NIE, you will be able to stay for the duration of your visa. Be sure to take the original background check and medical certificate along with their original translations with you to Spain for this process. 

If you are seeking more information or need support in regard to your process of a non-lucrative residence visa for Spain, please do not hesitate to contact us or make a direct appointment in order to help you.

MigraVisas is an experienced team, with the skills to support you with all your visa, migration, and nationality requirements in Spain. We are skilled in providing support in a wide range of visa applications, government processes and registrations and completing and filing official paperwork as well as lodging appeals to denied applications and handling complex cases. Contact us to assess your needs and find out how we can help.